Kruger National Park (KNP), one of Africa’s largest game reserves, is perfect for disconnecting from the frenzy that is city life. The safari destination is 19485 km² – roughly the size of Israel – and is a haven for nature lovers. It’s surrounded by mountains, extensive forests, and various wild animals including the famous “Big Five.” So a trip to the KNP is an excellent experience for reconnecting with Mother Nature.
While the animals can sleep anywhere (er, unless it’s a zebra close to a pride of lions), humans aren’t afforded that luxury. Whether you’re planning a short trip or an extended visit, you’ll need a place to rest in between marveling at all the animals you’ll see.
Lodges in Kruger National Park
There are several factors to consider when booking Kruger accommodation – your group’s size, the attendees’ ages, and their relationships.
It’s not easy randomly selecting excellent accommodation for an upcoming trip. Luckily, this Kruger National Park lodges list has a select group of outstanding lodges, with options for all types of travelers.
Lukimbi Safari Lodge
This lodge offers amazing game views, activities for people of all ages and a luxurious stay. The club is spacious with 14 classic suites, each with an en-suite bathroom, outdoor shower, private lounge and deck, and an internet connection. The suites are big enough to cater to large families. Additionally, there are two premier suites with separate dining areas and a perfect plunge pool for couples.
Located on the southern part of KNP, it’s in one of the few regions to house both black and white rhinos, in addition to the “Big Five.” This makes it an area all animal enthusiasts must visit. There are several activities and things to enjoy during your stay at the lodge; these include:
- An early morning game drive that lasts 3 hours.
- A late afternoon game drive lasting 3 hours and extending into the evening. This is a great chance to see the park’s nocturnal animals.
- A 10-hour bush walk with an armed ranger, subject to prior arrangement.
- A health spa for your relaxation needs.
- End your day by eating delicious African cuisine and sampling vintage wine.
It’s one of the few KNP lodges to accept kids from the age of 2 and has activities such as treasure hunts and kiddies walks. With parents relaxing and the kids having fun, it tops the Kruger National Park lodges list for family-friendly accommodation.
Lions Sands Thinga Lodge
This is the perfect lodge for the romantics who are looking for an intimate and chic bush experience. Guests are treated to a candlelit dinner and bush breakfasts while enjoying a breathtaking view of the bushes and the Sabie River. Animals are a regular sighting as they come and quench their thirst by the river.
This accommodation has a main lodge area and 9 luxurious suites situated 10-15 meters apart for total privacy. The main lodge space has a spacious deck that runs down to the river and has a central infinity pool. It also has an open-air boma where guests can enjoy African cuisine next to a bonfire. You can even choose to sleep under the starry sky in the “Treehouse” for a truly memorable and intimate safari stay.
The following is on offer for guests at the lodge:
- Early morning and late afternoon game drives. The afternoon drives extend into the evening and include a stop for sundowners and snacks.
- A morning bushwalk with an armed ranger
Built with comfort and privacy in mind, the lodge is perfect for an intimate and romantic stay.
Baobab Hill Bush House
Located remotely in the northern KNP and surrounded by baobab trees, this peaceful and cozy lodge is a nature lover’s haven. The lodge houses a maximum of 8 people (4 bedrooms) and is perfect for families or a group of friends. It also has modern amenities and a swimming pool.
It has an open central area with a kitchen, dining room, and lounge. A cook and housekeeping services are provided so you can spend more time relaxing. Some of the activities on offer are:
- Game drives, seeing the area’s rich wildlife. Commonly seen animals include zebras, elephants, kudus, and the African buffalo.
- Bushwalks with an armed ranger.
- Birdwatching the more than 350 species of birds in the region.
Small, intimate, and remote, the lodge is perfect for a small group looking to feel as close to nature as possible.
Singita Sweni Lodge
Situated on the Sweni River banks, this lodge offers a sense of seclusion and intimacy incomparable to other lodges. It has 6 riverside suites and one pool suite; each suite has its own indoor and outdoor shower. The lodge’s best features are its floor-to-ceiling windows and outdoor day beds which offer guests scenic views of the river and wildlife.
One of the more family-friendly lodges, children of all ages are welcome. They offer babysitting services and curated family activities everyone can take part in. When the sun is out, the pool and the couches in the lounge are available to help you cool down.
The activities available include:
- Game drives at dawn and mid-afternoon, which extend into the evening. Sundowners and snacks can be enjoyed while watching the sunset.
- A guided bushwalk or mountain bike ride.
- An archery range to try your best Robin Hood impression.
- Explore Lebombo Village which has a gym, spa, art gallery, and wine boutique.
The day can be capped off with a candlelit dinner in the wine cellar, enjoying gourmet meals. This makes the lodge perfect for small families or couples.
Kruger National Park Lodges’ prices
Kruger National Park accommodation prices vary by lodge. Here’s a breakdown of the price range for each lodge mentioned above.
- Lukimbi Safari Lodge: R8500 per person sharing (PPS) per night in 2021, R9400 PPS per night in 2022.
- Lion Sands Narina Lodge: R15385 PPS per night in 2021, R22625 PPS per night in 2022.
- Baobab Hill Bush House: R18690 per unit per night in 2021.
- Singita Sweni Lodge: Between R32000 and R37800 PPS per night in 2021, R37800 PPS per night in 2022.
Note: All prices are inclusive of accommodation, meals, and activities.
Summary of Kruger National Park Lodges
Being one of the best wild parks worldwide, the Kruger National Park has lodges and accommodation to match. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious stay or to get closer to nature, the park has it all. It also has various activities that groups of all sizes and ages can take part in. This means it will fulfill your natural needs in more ways than one.
There’s an affordable accommodation for everyone from families with young children, couples, or a large group of friends. Alternatively, you can stay at some Airbnbs if you’re looking for a more homely feel. You should now be more confident in making a booking that will satisfy your need for peace and comfort in the wilderness.