The Kruger National Park is well known for its vast total area and open spaces. Designed with very few fences around varying reserves. Allowing migratory animals access to make a new home in different areas of the park whenever nature calls for it.
The park grants you an opportunity to see more than just the big-5. With antelope, like impala, eland, and nyala; flowers like lilies, orchids, and aloes all left in their natural glory to broaden your safari spotting checklist.
Where is Kruger National Park?
Kruger is also known as the most popular and biggest wildlife park in South Africa. It spans across the Northeast of Mpumalanga and stretches into Limpopo, as well as into neighboring countries. The Kruger National Park is also home to some small communities aside from the numerous luxury lodges that tourists love.
With about 2 million hectares of land, you’ll soon find the dizzying effect of establishing your itinerary is simply because there is so much to choose from.
You’ve got one giant stretch of land that is broken up into a variety of game reserves; namely:
- Sabi Sands Game Reserve;
- Mala Mala Game Reserve;
- Manyeleti Game Reserve; and,
- Timbavati Game Reserve; just to name a few.
Once you’ve figured out the best Kruger safari prices and read up on some history. You can start establishing exactly where to stay. Luckily for you, we understand how stressful planning can be. With our carefully selected list of 5-star lodges in Kruger National Park, you’ll be able to choose an absolute jewel of a temporary home.
Where are the Best Lodges in Kruger National Park?
Finding a place to stay in Kruger National Park is not difficult at all – unless you’re like us and refuse to miss out on anything, ever. The hardest part is choosing one place without feeling like you’re going to overlook some of the “better places” more suited to your needs.
Take solace in knowing that the majority of the Kruger National Park is laced with luxury. Besides, you’ve got this handy list to help you.
Situated on the western border of the Greater Kruger National Park, Royal Malewane offers you a mixture of romance and beauty, neatly entangled with the wild. You can choose between a classic suite or a private villa to call home for the duration of your stay.
Classic is by far the most appropriate way to describe this Royal Malewane accommodation. Be spoiled by their private services in the royal suites or simply enjoy the exclusivity of a private pool out on the deck.
- Morning and afternoon game drives
- Swimming pool
- The Main Lodge offers three suites:
- Africa House; sleeps 12; from around $16 000, per night.
- Royal Suite; sleeps 4; from around $10 000, per night.
- Luxury Suite; sleeps 2; from around $2 000, per person sharing.
- The Farmstead:
- Luxury Farm Suite; sleeps 2; from around $2 000, per person sharing.
- Farmhouse; sleeps 6; from around $14 000, per night.
Thornybush Game Lodge
Visit the first game lodge to have opened in the Thornybush Nature Reserve, this lodge offers you years of experience. So, they’ll know what you like. You can expect expert guides and astounding sightings to make your safari experience a little bit easier.
But what about the stay itself? Well, the main area overlooks a watering hole just to kickstart your viewing experience. They have also brought that sense of openness into the suites themselves. So that you can wake up to the sounds of lions as a morning wake-up call.
- Bush dining
- Community Interaction program
- Game drives
- Babysitting service
- All-inclusive luxury suites; from around $700, per person sharing.
- Family suites; from around $800, per night, sharing.
Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge
Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve offers excellence upon excellence at the Earth Lodge. A vision of nature and architecture combined. The lodge is situated on the slopes of the Sabi reserve and is beautifully chiseled into the landscape.
Earth Lodge describes itself as a sanctuary that is also environmentally sensitive, which offers you an experience of nature and luxury in perfect balance.
- Boma fire pit for sundowners
- A watering hole right at your doorstep.
- Dining experience
- Contact Earth Lodge for rates and availability
Shumbalala Game Lodge
Located in the Thornybush Game Reserve, Shumbalala offers superior suites which are the epitome of exclusivity. With a secluded outside shower, private service, and private plunge pool. Seclusion is just one of the very enticing reasons to visit this lodge as well as it being one of the prettiest Kruger safari lodges.
- Blyde Canyon Boat Cruise (near the lodge)
- Trips to Moholoholo Rehabilitation Center for sick or poisoned animals (near the lodge)
- Game viewing (within the reserve)
- Contact Shumbalala Game Lodge for prices and bookings.
Tintswalo – Kruger Safari Lodge
Located in the Manyeleti Game Reserve in the Greater Kruger National Park. Tinstwalo lodge offers a variety of all-inclusive packages which cater to your every need out in the bush.
They’ve named and designed all of their suites according to inspiration taken from explorers and discoverers, so there’s also some history in the heart of the wild.
- Private plunge pool
- Personalized children’s program
- Private chef and butler (presidential suite)
- Private tracker and guide
- Baines Presidential Suite; sleeps 4; from around $4 000.
- Grant Suite; sleeps 4; from around $3 000.
- Manor House; sleeps 10; from around $4 000.
More Kruger National Park Luxury Lodges and Game Reserves
So far, we’ve listed some of the most lavish locations. Although, there are 5-star camps, self-catering lodges, and some hotels in Kruger National Park. If you’re thinking that you love luxury but would like to downscale a tiny bit – maybe you’ll find your second home if you continue reading below.
Here is a list of some great game lodges that do not necessarily fit the 5-star category according to the Tourism Grading Council but still offer a 5-star experience based on travelers’ reviews.
Mala Mala Rattray’s Camp
If you’re a lover of brunch, game drives, bush walks and libraries stocked with African literature – this might be the one for you. Mala Mala Camps offer you elegance intertwined with green forests. Situated right between Sabi Sands and Kruger National Park, which makes an easy stop between the two parks, especially for the grand explorer.
- Private verandah
- An indigenous private garden that is a bird lover’s dream.
- Outside showers
- Private plunge pools
- Traditional reed boma for meals around a fire
- Luxury Suite; sleeps 2; from around $1 000, per person sharing.
Misava River-view Suite
Misava suites are unique in their own right. Taking inspiration from the Shangaan language where misava means earth and mati means water, encapsulating elements of misava and mati in their decor. Truly creating one of the most serene environments for the tired traveler to call one of Kruger Park’s best lodges.
- Yoga mats
- Art supplies
- Private chef
- Viewing deck
- River View Suite; sleeps 2; from around $6 000, per person sharing.
- Garden View Suite; sleeps 2; from around $500, per person sharing.
Simbavati River Lodge
Located in the northern sector of Timbavati game Reserve, Simbavati is nestled on the river banks of Nhlaralumi River. With over 40 mammals living in the reserve, you’re guaranteed some kind of sighting. There are also 360 species of birds in the region which is perfect for bird-watching.
- Sundowner stop in the bush
- Game drives
- Afternoon high tea Open-air boma
- Swimming pool
- Luxury Tent; sleeps 2; from around $500, per person sharing.
- Tented Pool Suite; sleeps 2; from around $600, per person sharing.
- Family Chalets; sleeps 5; from around $500, per person sharing.
Ulusaba Rock Lodge
Spacious, air-conditioned rooms, and mini-bar for comfort, Ulusaba Rock Lodge has uniquely decorated rooms, with privacy like no other when compared to the variety of Kruger National Park lodges.
Open terraces allow you to view some of the Big-5 from the sanctuary of your bedroom. All before your morning game drive. If you’re a fan of exclusivity – so are they.
- Morning and afternoon game drive
- Walking safari
- Rock Cliff room; from around $800, per person sharing.
- Rock suite; from around $1000, per person sharing.
Chitwa Chitwa has been in the game since 1991. So, you know that they’re going to have just about anything you might require and more. Boasting accolades to prove it, Chitwa Chitwa has been voted the Best Safari Lodge 7 times in the World Luxury Hotel Awards. Need I say more?
- Game drives
- Indoor & outdoor shower
- Chitwa Suites; sleeps 2; from around $1000, per person sharing.
- Chitwa House; sleeps 4; from around $5 000, per night.
- Charlsy Family Suite; from around $1 000, per night.
Final Say on Accommodation in Kruger National Park
With quality lodges as luxurious as these, your planning won’t be in vain. The first step is to familiarize yourself with the location within the Greater Kruger National Park. The rest will fall into place after choosing one (or two) of these opulent lodges.
Go ahead and book a trip to this amazing location. Prepare yourself for a wondrous adventure that culminates in luxury and wildlife experiences. Treat yourself to the very best of what South Africa has to offer.